The important question answered, Who is a proper member of the Church militant? and who shall finally join the Church triumphant? Verse Psalm 15:1; contains the question; Psalm 15:2-5, the answer.Adam Clarke Commentary
Psalm 15 King James Version (KJV)
Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.
Poetry by Isaac Watts based on Psalm 15
Characters of a saint; or, A citizen of Zion; or, The qualifications of a Christian.
Who shall inhabit in thy hill,
O God of holiness?
Whom will the Lord admit to dwell
So near his throne of grace?
The man that walks in pious ways,
And works with righteous hands;
That trusts his Maker’s promises,
And follows his commands.
He speaks the meaning of his heart,
Nor slanders with his tongue;
Will scarce believe an ill report,
Nor do his neighbor wrong.
The wealthy sinner he contemns,
Loves all that fear the Lord;
And though to his own hurt he swears,
Still he performs his word.
His hands disdain a golden bribe,
And never gripe the poor:
This man shall dwell with God on earth,
And find his heav’n secure.
Prayer for yourself and people on your prayer list…
- Heavenly Father you see and know our heart
- Create in us a clean heart and purify us
- We pray that your Holy Spirit will dwell within so that we may be truly good people
- Let our words and actions be true and kind
- Give us a heart that loves what is good and rejects everything that is against your will and your kingdom
- Let us not be greedy for gain at the expense of others
- We pray for your guidance, for courage and strength to be people of excellent character who will not be moved