Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sinsIsaiah 58:1
Prayer for yourself and people on your prayer list…
Today’s prayer comes directly from Daniel 9:4-9 when Daniel prayed on behalf of the people of Israel while in exile.
- “Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, we have sinned and done wrong
- We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws.
- We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our ancestors, and to all the people of the land.
- Lord, you are righteous, but this day we are covered with shame…
- We and our kings, our princes and our ancestors are covered with shame, Lord, because we have sinned against you.
- The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him”
We may not enjoy thinking about or confession our sins, but God asks us to do this so that we may be relieved of the burden of sin. Confessing your sins to God is, in a way, like talking to a therapist. Remember “if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness” 1 John 1:9
During your devotional time make it a habit to ask the Holy Spirit to show you your unconfessed sins.