The psalmist prays against the malice of his enemies, Psalm 7:1, Psalm 7:2; protests his own innocence, Psalm 7:3-5; prays to God that he would vindicate him, for the edification of his people, Psalm 7:6-8; prays against the wickedness of his enemies, Psalm 7:9; expresses strong confidence in God, Psalm 7:10; threatens transgressors with God’s judgments, Psalm 7:11-13; shows the conduct and end of the ungodly, Psalm 7:14-16; and exults in the mercy and lovingkindness of his Maker, Psalm 7:17.
Adam Smith Commentary
A Prayer for Fairness
A shiggaion of David which he sang to the Lord about Cush, from the tribe of Benjamin.
7 Lord my God, I trust in you for protection.
Save me and rescue me
from those who are chasing me.
2 Otherwise, like a lion they will tear me apart.
They will rip me to pieces, and no one can save me.
3 Lord my God, what have I done?
Have my hands done something wrong?
4 Have I done wrong to my friend
or stolen without reason from my enemy?
5 If I have, let my enemy chase me and capture me.
Let him trample me into the dust
and bury me in the ground. Selah
6 Lord, rise up in your anger;
stand up against my enemies’ anger.
Get up and demand fairness.
7 Gather the nations around you
and rule them from above.
8 Lord, judge the people.
Lord, defend me because I am right,
because I have done no wrong, God Most High.
9 God, you do what is right.
You know our thoughts and feelings.
Stop those wicked actions done by evil people,
and help those who do what is right.
10 God protects me like a shield;
he saves those whose hearts are right.
11 God judges by what is right,
and God is always ready to punish the wicked.
12 If they do not change their lives,
God will sharpen his sword;
he will string his bow and take aim.
13 He has prepared his deadly weapons;
he has made his flaming arrows.
14 There are people who think up evil
and plan trouble and tell lies.
15 They dig a hole to trap others,
but they will fall into it themselves.
16 They will get themselves into trouble;
the violence they cause will hurt only themselves.
17 I praise the Lord because he does what is right.New Century Version
I sing praises to the Lord Most High.
Prayer for yourself and those on your prayer list..
- Our Lord and Father, we trust in you for the protection of our mind, our body and our possessions (Psalm 7:1)
- Save and rescue us from anything and anyone that is seeking to destroy us from without or from within (Psalm 7:1)
- Destroy the plans of the wicked and help those who seek your face (Psalm 7:9)
- We have confidence in your complete protection (Psalm 7:10)
- Lord you know there are people who think up evil and plan trouble and tell lies. They dig a hole to trap others, but they will fall into it themselves . They will get themselves into trouble; the violence they cause will hurt only themselves (Psalm 7: 14-17)
- We praise you Lord because you do what is right and merciful (Psalm 7:17)
- We sing praises to you O Lord. (Psalm 7:17)