Poem based on Psalm 91 by Isaac Watts
Safety in public Diseases and Dangers
1 They, that have made their refuge God,
Shall find a most secure abode;
Shall walk all day beneath his shade,
And there at night shall rest their head.
2 If burning beams of noon conspire
To dart a pestilential fire:
God is their life; his wings are spread,
To shield them ‘midst ten thousand dead.
3 If vapors with malignant breath
Rise thick, and scatter midnight death:
Still they are safe; the poison’d air
Again grows pure, if God be there.
4 But if the fire, or plague, or sword,
Receive commission from the Lord,
To strike his saints among the rest:
Their very pains and deaths are blest.
5 The sword, the pestilence, or fire,
Shall but fulfil their best desire;
From sins and sorrows set them free,
And bring thy children, Lord! to thee.
10 Bible Verses to Banish Fear
On this rapidly decaying planet where bad things happen 24/7, it’s easy to get caught up in an unhealthy pattern of giving in to fearful thoughts. God doesn’t want us to be controlled by fear. He desires that we conquer our fears by trusting in Him. Read His words …
1) “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4). If you seek His presence and His will, God will give you courage for whatever you face in life.
2) “He said to them, ‘Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?’ Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm” (Matthew 8:26). Jesus has the power to dispel your fears and bring a great calm to your life.
3) “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand’ ” (Isaiah 41:10). God is with you at all times and is a constant source of strength.
4) “Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught” (Proverbs 3:25, 26). Be assured that even in scary situations God is right beside you to help you.
5) “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18). Let God fill your heart with His love, keep focusing on Him, and your fears will fade away.
6) “The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1). With the most powerful Being in the universe as your defender, you really have no one to fear.
7) “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed” (Psalm 46:1, 2). Through tumultuous events, you can put your faith in God; He will always be with you and will be your security.
8) “For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, ‘Abba, Father’ ” (Romans 8:15). When you become a child of God, He breaks those bonds of fear.
9) “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27). If you let Him, Jesus will give you His peace that is more powerful than any fear.
10) “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). This is God’s desire for all His children—hearts not controlled by fear but by His love and power, resulting in sensible, logical thoughts and cognitive clarity.
Why not bring your fears to God right now? His Word confirms that He longs to help you manage any fear in your life today!